Application Forms For Non-Immigrant Visas
The DS-160 requires time and accuracy to complete, and it is only in English.
Nonimmigrant visa applicants applying for a visa are required to complete the new DS-160, mandatory as of June 1, 2010. Appointments made for June 1 and beyond REQUIRE that you complete the new DS-160, and upload your photo electronically. You may access and fill out the new form found at this link: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
For appointments made for June 1, 2010 and beyond, the Consulate will ONLY accept the new DS-160 form. Applicants who do not present the DS-160 form as of June 1, 2010 will NOT be interviewed and MUST reschedule their appointments, through the call center, for the next available date.
Your DS-160 application replaces the forms DS-156, DS-157 and DS-158, no longer available.
The DS-160 is web-based and once completed, transmits the applicant’s data to the post where s/he will apply for the visa. As the data is collected electronically, it means that we will be able to conduct various forms of pre-processing and pre-screening in advance of the application which should reduce processing delays.
Before accessing the DS-160, please note the following points:
- The DS-160 site has been experiencing intermittent connectivity issues. Please save your work frequently.
- As you complete the visa application, save a copy on your hard drive, CD or USB and ‘save’ often;
- Provide accurate and complete information in English, in answer to the questions (a translation into Italian will be available at a later date). You will be given an opportunity to review the information before submitting the form. If you submit a DS-160 that is inaccurate or incomplete, your application will be rejected;
- Review the Department of State photo specifications before uploading the photograph. If your photo does not comply, it will be rejected. Whether a photo is successfully uploaded or not, applicants are requested to bring a photo meeting the above requirements to the interview.
- Select the correct location at which you will apply for the visa.
- Select the correct visa category.
Bring the Confirmation Page to the Visa Interview
After completing the DS-160 online application, be sure to print the confirmation page generated by the online system and bring that page to the visa interview. You are welcome to print the entire application form for your own records, but you must bring the confirmation page to your visa interview. Applicants who arrive at the Embassy on or after June 1, 2010 without this confirmation page cannot be interviewed. We suggest that you save the confirmation page to a pen drive and email it to your email address in case you would need to access it away from your house.
Other forms still required
The DS-160 application form does not replace the following supplemental forms, which must be completed and brought to the interview, depending on the visa category indicated:
- Students (F visa): Form I-20 and SEVIS Receipt
- Exchange Visitors (J visa): DS-2019 and SEVIS Receipt
- Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor (E visa): Form DS-156E
For additional information, please see this webpage: Additional information about the DS-160 on the travel.state.gov website.