Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
The links provided will help you find an appropriate, updated answer.



General Question

How can I contact the President of the United States?

You may use any of these options:


Mail: President Barack H. Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

Telephone and Fax:
Tel. comments: +1 (202) 456-1111
Tel. switchboard: +1 (202) 456-1414
Fax: +1 (202) 456-2461

What time is it in the United States?

The continental United States is divided into four times zones: Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific. Alaska and Hawaii are each in their own time zone. The continental States observe daylight savings time during the summer months.

Some websites you may find useful:


Where do I find information on previous Presidents of the United States?

To find information on previous US President, consult the "Presidents" White House Web Page

How can I apply for a job at the United States Embassy OR CONSULATES?

The Human Resources Office accepts and considers only applications that are associated with a specific vacancy announcement. For further information related to this matter please check the dedicated webpages on our Mission’s Website.

Traveling to the United States

Do I need a visa to travel to the United States?

Information on Visa requirements are available on the "Visa Information" webpages.

Where can I obtain tourist information?

The U.S. does not operate a national tourist office in Italy as each State organizes its own tourism board, and offers a variety of information through the Internet.

To find the website for each State, visit the following websites:

Which items can I bring into the United States?

  • What is the allowance for alcoholic beverages brought into the United States?
  • How do I bring my prescription medicine into the United States?
  • Can I bring my persian carpet into the United States?
  • What are the requirements for bringing my cat or dog into the United States?
  • Can I get a refund of the tax paid on merchandise and services purchased in the United States?
  • What kind of food products can I bring to the U.S.?
  • Can I send personal food products to the U.S.?
  • Is there a duty-free allowance for merchandise shipments?
  • What is the duty-free allowance for sending gifts?
  • Which countries are included in the Generalized System of Preferences program in the United States?
  • Textile products of which countries require a "textile visa" (export permit)?
  • Can I bring a car to the United States?
  • Can I bring firearms and ammunition into the U.S.?
  • How much money can I bring into the United States?
  • What items are prohibited from entry into the United States?

You can find the answers to these questions through the "Frequently Asked Questions" webpage prepared by the USCBP (U.S. Customs and Border Protection) Italy office.

Is there a need for an international driving license for Italian visiting the United States?

International Driving Permits are generally not required in the U.S. but it is recommended to carry one.

U.S. motor vehicle laws are governed by the individual States and their restrictions vary. So, in essence, it simply makes good sense to obtain an IDP when traveling to the U.S. A useful link is the American Automobile Association as well as the American Automobile Touring Alliance.

To have information in Italian you can consult to the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs’ website “Viaggiare Sicuri” or the Touring Club Italiano website.

Where can I find information about the National Parks and Wildlife Refuges in the United States?

The National Park Guide site provides general information on visiting parks, park maps, fees and reservations.

The National Wildlife Refuge System provides information on wildlife sanctuaries.

For information on national forests visit the USDA Forest Service.

How can I find information on the weather forecast for my U.S. destination?

Several websites provide information on weather forecast in the U.S.
Among these numerous websites, you can check The Weather Channel, a 24 hour cable channel, and the national newspapers USA Today and New York Times.

How do I find information about Amtrak train schedules and the North America Rail Pass?

Information on Amtrak train schedules is available on the Amtrak website.

You can also call Amtrak at 001 (212) 582-6875.

Where can I find information on how to visit the White House?

Requests must be submitted through one's Member of Congress and are accepted up to six months in advance. Information on how to visit the White House are provided on its official website.

Where can I find information on how to visit the Senate and Capitol Hill?

Information on how to visit the Senate and Capitol Hill ( are provided on its official website.

Studying in the United States

Where can I find information on how to study in the United States?

You can find excellent information on how to study in the U.S. through the following State Department websites:

Student interships to the tri-mission rome

How can I apply for an internship at the U.S. Mission to Italy?

All information on how to apply for an internship are available at: Student Internships to the tri-Mission Rome

Can an American citizen studying in a U.S. university apply for an Internship at the U.S. Mission to Italy?

These internships are administered directly from Washington, D.C.
For more information go to U.S. Department of State Careers – Student Programs

Information for American Citizens

My American passport was stolen. How can I get a new one?

All information on how to obtain a new U.S. passport is available in the Lost or Stolen Passport webpage.

How do I get a United States birth certificate and passport for my newborn baby?

All information on how to obtain a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, for a child born in Italy, is available in the Reports of Birth Abroad webpage.

My relative died in Italy. What can I do to return his/her remains to the United States ? How do I obtain a death certificate?

Information and guidance on steps to take after the death of a U.S. citizen in Italy is available in the Death of a U.S. Citizen webpage.

I am an American citizen and I am sick. How do I find an English-speaking doctor?

A list of English speaking doctors and hospitals is available through the Doctors and Hospitals webpages.

I need an attorney and/or a translator. How do I get one?

A list of local English speaking attorneys and translators is available in the Official Translators webpages.

Where can I find a list of English-speaking professionals?

All information available on certified English-speaking professionals is available through the U.S. Citizen Services webpages. This list includes Doctors and Hospitals, Lawyers and Notaries, Tax Consultants and Official Translators.

How do I get married in Italy?

All the information on how to get married in Italy is available in the Getting Married in Italy webpages.